To promote and facilitate safe and enjoyable walking
- To improve health and community engagement by encouraging walking as a primary form of transport.
- To advance Colchester as a ‘walkable town’.
- To promote communication and a shared agenda with the cycling community.
To provide information about and facilitate walking access to
- The local green environment: paths, trails, parks, woods and open spaces
- Local wildlife and countryside biodiversity
- sustainability features: allotments, recycling points
- Local heritage points of interest and arts/cultural venues.
To promote an inclusive approach to mapping
- To provide practical map-based information aimed at maximizing informed choice for walkers of all abilities.
- To contribute to the development of a shared iconography for inclusive mapping.
- To act as a prototype for inclusive mapping and information provision on a wider scale
To aid protection of our green open spaces
- To act as a tool for local pathway planning, development and management via improved auditing, communication structures and design protocols.
“Some people like to make a little garden out of life and walk down a path”
(Jean Anouilh, 1910-1987)